- By Dr. Geeta Grewal, Cosmetic surgeon Anti-aging, Beauty and Wellness expert
1. Onion Juice
Rich in Vitamins C and B6, folate and potassium, onion juice when applied to the hair and scalp increases blood supply to hair follicles, which, in turn, improves hair growth. Apart from this, a protein-rich diet and some other hair-friendly home remedies can help speed up the process.The remedy helps not only women but also men, with some even validating the positive effects of the juice on their hair for at least 6 months.
2. Coconut and cream mask: Best suited for dry and frizzy hair, the moisturizing elements in this mask make our hair soft and shiny and bouncy.
Coconut oil: 2 parts
Olive oil: 1 part
Mix both the ingredients and apply it gently from root to tip of your hair. After applying, keep your hair covered with a shower cap. Leave it for half an hour, for better results leave it for more than an hour. Then, rinse it off with a mild herbal shampoo and conditioner. This mask will not only make your hair soft and shiny but will also provide nourishment to your dull hair.
3. Banana Crème Mask: The nutritional benefits such as iron, vitamins and potassium present in a banana make it an all-rounder. Banana is as good for hair as for skin as it makes them strong and strengthens roots thus helping in hair growth as well.
Honey: 1 Tbsp.
Blend one over ripe banana in a mixer grinder. Then add one tbsp. honey to it. Honey is a natural conditioner. Then apply it on your hair, especially the roots. Leave it for 15 – 20 mins and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Now, enrich your hair with a special banana mask. This mask can be refrigerated for future use.
4. Oatmeal Hair Mask: This hair mask is best suited for those who suffer from oily scalp, dandruff, scalp irritation and inflammation. It nourishes oily scalp by eliminating excessive oil. It results in hair growth by treating dandruff and protecting hair follicles. Dandruff also damages our skin, so a proper treatment is must. It causes rashes on our face.
Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp.
Fresh Milk: 1 Tbsp.
Almond Oil: 1 Tbsp.
Mix the entire above mentioned ingredient and make a paste. Please ensure that your hair is free from tangling before applying this pack. Apply this pack gently on your hair. Leave it for 15 – 20 mins and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. For better results, lemon juice diluted in water can be used for rinsing off this mask. This is the best treatment for oily and limp hair.
5. Hibiscus Hair Mask: If you are suffering from weak roots and porous hair then Hibiscus pack can be an ideal remedy. Its essential elements strengthen weak roots and treat pore clogging by stimulating blood circulation to the scalp. It encourages hair growth by supplying essential nutrients to follicles. It can be easily prepared at home with the following ingredients.
Hibiscus petals: 6 -7
Olive oil (extra virgin) – 1/4 cup
Raw Milk: 2 Tbsp.
Soak hibiscus petals overnight in a cup of water. Then blend it with olive oil and raw milk. Apply this pack gently on your hair. Keep this hair mask for 20 – 25 mins and then rinse it with cold water. Its regular application will give you the desired result.
5. Curry Leaves Mask: Due to stressful life and unbalanced diet, our hair is falling and graying at an alarming rate. At least 90% of people suffer from these two problems. Expensive hair ointment, beauty treatments yield no desired result. This special natural mask not only minimizes the hair fall and hair graying but also enhances hair growth.
Curry leaves: 20
Ratanjyot: 1 Stick
Coconut oil: ¼ cup
Soak curry leaves overnight in a cup of water and similarly, Ratanjyot stick in coconut oil. Next oil will turn red, now you can discard the stick. Then, grind the curry leaves with red colored oil to a fine paste. Now, apply this gently all over your hair especially the roots. Leave your hair covered with this mask for an hour or two. Then rinse it off thoroughly with cold water followed by shampoo and conditioner. This mask will not prevent hair fall but will prevent your hair from graying.
Fighting the five signs of hair damage such as hair fall, dandruff, graying, dryness and frizziness is easier with these homemade hair masks which are not only easy on pocket but are safe to use because of the absence of harsh chemicals that go with expensive hair treatments. The ingredients in these masks not only help hair appear beautiful, they strengthen them internally in the long run if used ethically. Any investment that you need here is time and in return you have a healthy mane and shiny hair.